Based on the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), the 389 Directory Server is designed to manage large directories of users and resources robustly and scalably.
Its key features include:
* four-way multi-master replication;
* great scalability;
* extensive documentation;
* Active Directory user and group synchronization;
* secure authentication and transport;
* support for LDAPv3;
* graphical management console;
* on-line, zero downtime update of schema, configuration, and
in-tree Access Control Information.